Me in 140 Characters
The complete package: Detail-oriented team player with amazing organizational & project management skills & tons of digital & writing experience
2003–Ongoing Freelance Writing
I have written a variety of articles, everything from travel pieces to profiles to online quizzes, for such publications and websites as The Toronto Star, The Edmonton Journal and Chatelaine. Please visit this page to view some of my writing samples.
2014–2016 Corporation Of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto, ON
As a member of the Programming department for two of Toronto’s most acclaimed venues, I assisted in continuing a more-than-century old tradition of promoting quality music in this city. Key responsibilities included:
- Promoting and managing specific events, including the Corporation’s critically acclaimed Live at Massey Hall series. In this role I advanced show details, reviewed contracts, managed budgets and worked with agents, managers and artists themselves to stage memorable presentations.
- Project managing the department’s grant applications and reports, including those for the Canadian Arts Presentation Fund and the Ontario Music Fund.
- Supporting the Marketing department by assisting with the creation of promotional campaigns, live tweeting from events and writing and editing copy.
2005–2013 officialCOMMUNITY, Toronto, ON
officialCOMMUNITY (OC) manages e-commerce websites and social media accounts for such musical artists as Elton John, George Michael and Billy Talent.
I started at OC as a Community Coordinator and ran websites for Blue Rodeo and Alice in Chains, among others. In 2007, I was promoted to Community Supervisor and took on new duties that included creating and implementing processes and procedures, editing copy and managing projects and people. Three years later I became the Senior Community Manager. Key accomplishments at OC included:
- Overseeing teams that created and launched a number of innovative online solutions, including a presale ticket system that helped Roger Waters’ The Wall Live become one of the highest grossing tours of 2011 and 2012.
- Being responsible for editing and approving the majority of the e-newsletters sent out by officialCOMMUNITY, communications that reached lists as large as 200,000 members
- Writing over two dozen blog posts over five weeks for GeorgeMichael.com while on the road with George Michael’s 2011 European Symphonica tour.
- Regularly doubling and in some cases, tripling, key metrics for our sites, including online sales, mailing list members and Facebook and Twitter followers.
- Acting as the key liaison between my department, Community, and our Design, Retail, Ticketing and Developer departments; a role that required basic knowledge of all of those fields as well as excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills.
2007–2010 This Magazine, Toronto, ON
I volunteered as an Associate Editor and oversaw the magazine’s front section, which was mostly written by freelancers who I managed. Primary tasks included:
- Coming up with original story ideas that interested and engaged the magazine’s cross-Canada audience.
- Meeting all deadlines and word counts. When a story did fall through, I always found a suitable replacement piece.
- Taking a piece from its first draft to a final, copy-edited version that met the front section’s tight word count and deadlines.
- Carefully balancing it alongside my full-time job at OC, which I believe demonstrates my superior time management and organizational skills.
2002–2005 CKLN 88.1 FM, Toronto, ON
I worked at Ryerson’s campus radio station first as a music librarian and then for two years as the student coordinator. This latter position was one I created to help better connect the radio station with the campus that it called home. While at CKLN I:
- Raised the profile of the station among Ryerson’s student population by running a variety of activities and maintaining an online mailing list.
- Created and oversaw a weekly student radio show that showcased Ryerson students and their projects to Toronto.
- Assisted with hosting and producing other radio shows as needed.
2007 Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Copy Editing Course from the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education
2005 Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Bachelor of Journalism; Magazine Major
In December 2016, I started running the Little Portugal BIA’s Twitter account. I create original content and share tweets from BIA members with the goal of promoting one of Toronto’s most exciting neighbourhoods.
I am comfortable working in either a PC or Mac environment and I am a fast learner who quickly finds her way around any new program. Some of the programs that I’m already comfortable with include Microsoft Office; various CMSs including WordPress and Blogger and Silverpop Email Marketing Services. I am also familiar with HTML and with Google Analytics and have previously completed Google Analytics’ Digital Analytics Fundamentals course.
I also have experience working with a variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.
2005 Walrus Magazine: Honorable Mention, Student Essay Contest
2005 Ryerson University: Caren King Scholarship for Best Magazine Prototype
2003 Ryerson University: Jim Cormier Memorial Award for Writing
Travel Experience & Other Hobbies
One of my goals in life is to become a member of the Travelers’ Century Club by visiting at least 100 countries. So far, I’ve been to 27.
Besides writing and travelling, I love to read, play with my pets and I’m always on the lookout for TV’s next Breaking Bad. I’m also a huge music fan and regularly attend live shows.