Writing & Editing Work
In addition to the outlets listed below, I’ve also written for horror magazine Rue Morgue, teen mag Shameless, defunct music publication The New Pollution and The Hinton Parklander, a weekly newspaper based in Hinton, Alberta. I’ve also written quizzes and list-style articles for Slice.ca‘s previous incarnation, Life Network.
- 15 Things That Would Change If You Had A Guaranteed Basic Income
- This Archeologist Is Clapping Back After B.C. Wrote First Nations Out Of Its History
- For years I couldn’t stand up without feeling ill: A look at POTS, a little-known medical condition
- Lionhearted: Profile of Angela Petesen, a sea lion trainer at West Edmonton Mall
- Check Stop: When there’s 400 free bucks on the line, Edmontonians aren’t any different from kids from the Big Smoke
- Get Out of Here: a look at weekend getaways in Alberta
- Meet the Bartender Spreading Awareness re: Sexual Assault Training: Award-winning bartender Veronica Saye wants to make the bar scene safer for patrons and bartenders alike. She’s taking one of the first steps tonight by hosting a new event: BASH—Bartenders Against Sexual Assault
- We Asked A Doctor To Review Canada’s First At-Home HPV Test
Ryerson Review of Journalism
- Look Who’s Reading Now: Special sections such as the Edmonton Journal’s ed are designed to capture younger audiences. But as readers age, will they make the jump from hot flicks to politics?
- FOX News: Goes well with tequila shots
- Inside An Ontario Town’s Fight To Protect Its Local Waters
- How to Bring Democracy Back to Alberta
- The Working Poor Diet
- 4 Ways to Travel Greener
- 4 Cancer Causers in Your Bathroom
Travel & Escape
- 5 UNESCO Heritage Sites To Visit Before They’re Gone
- The Best Places To Dive With Sharks
- How To Build Your Ultimate Travel Pharmacy
Travel & Style
- Build A Perfect Babymoon
- Where to Eat, Stay, Play & Shop in Mont Tremblant
- Hotel Review: Prince George Hotel, Halifax
- A First-Time Cruiser Sets Sail To Fiji
- 5 Tips for First Time Cruisers
- Hotel Review: Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
The Toronto Star
- `Third wheel’ Drives a Wedge in Post-grad Trip; a first-person article
GeorgeMichael.com Æccess-only Blog
In the summer/fall of 2011, I blogged from the road while travelling across Europe with George Michael’s Symphonica: The Orchestral Tour. While this blog is no longer accessible on GeorgeMichael.com, I have posted a few of my favourite entries over here.
This is where I blog about a wide variety of topics including Toronto, politics and cute animals. It’s also a place for me to play around with WordPress.
While I started my product review blog so that I could keep track of which of my purchases were smart ones, this blog now has a small but loyal following. I also use it to play around with Blogger and various Google tools.
From the summer of 2007 until the fall of 2010, I was an Associate Editor at This Magazine, where I looked after the front-of-the-book section (aka This & That). My many tasks in this role included coming up with story ideas, reviewing pitches, assigning stories, managing freelancers and of course, editing copy. Here are just a few of the many pieces that I edited.
- A Shot in the Arm for Boys: They’re often unwitting carriers of HPB, so why no vaccinations?
- Reclaiming Reality: Oil sands reclamation projects are more talk than action
- “Give a Day” Campaign Makes Fighting HIV-AIDS All in a Day’s Work
- Teaching Genocide: One school board gets a lesson in definitions